Friday, July 6, 2018

A Guess at a Madhouse Artist

I believe the artist who did three pieces for Madhouse, and as far as I can see nothing else for Archie, is Don Orehek. His style changes somewhat across the years at the B&W humor magazines like Cracked (the page here is from its #35, April/64), but I tell myself I see resemblances. The Madhouse page is from the #10 "Double Take." The first tier, at least, could be a Shut-Up at Cracked.

Madhouse 10, Cracked 35

Or this may be someone whose name we'll never know.

Don Orehek(?) art in Archie's Madhouse

Feb/61 10  Double Take
Apr/     11  How to Improve TV
Dec/     16  Double Take [new]

3 comments:

  1. Your guess certainly seems reasonable...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel less tentative after actually posting, as I see the resemblance between the women on the left of each middle tier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your initial guess was right. The girl in the first panel is a give-away.

    ReplyDelete